Ask a Mycologist: Growing Edible Mushrooms on Logs
Cost: $20 – $45
1 Olympic Place
New Lynn, Auckland 0600 New Zealand
Phone: (09) 826 4276
About this Event
Join mycologist Christopher Smith for a fascinating foray into the wonders of mycology! Mycology translates as the ‘study of fungi’ a group that covers mushrooms, yeasts and more.
IN THIS SESSION:
- Learn all about the process of mushroom growing on logs using inoculated dowels.
- We’ll be learning about Phoenix Oyster or Pekepekekiore edible fungi
- Then get together and take turns drilling and making inoculated dowel logs, (or watch and learn)
- Christopher will then discuss how to get your grow kit growing for best possible growing and harvest!
1. Workshop only $20
2. Workshop + Phoenix Oyster or Pekepekekiore Mushroom log $45* ($5 off both workshop and kit price)
*PLEASE NOTE: Christopher requires a minimum of two weeks to prepare the dowels if you’d like to make a mushroom log in the workshop.
Please book by the first week of Ecofest (by Fri 22 March) if you’d like to take home an inoculated log.
If you have access to a cordless drill, please bring with you on the day. Bit size TBC.
Above: log with inoculated dowels, ready to go
Main: Oyster mushrooms growing wild
Christopher Smith, aka The Mushroom Smith started in 2017 selling small Phoenix Oyster grow kits at farmers markets. After getting his Masters in Biology at Auckland University he worked at Manaaki Whenua – Landcare Research as a technician in the Mycology team. His current mahi is focused on education of our community, growing edible mushrooms and researching our amazing native harore.
This event is part of EcoFest 2024, a month-long celebration of our unique environment to inspire sustainable living across Tāmaki Makaurau.
Share your photos from this event with #ecofestnz
Check www.ecofest.org.nz for more events and the latest updates.