EcoMatters Bike Hubs
We’re all about getting more people cycling! Our Bike Hubs in New Lynn, Henderson and Glen Innes are friendly places where we welcome anyone who is interested in riding a bike.
Open for contactless, basic repairs
Our Bike Hubs are open during their usual hours at Alert Level 3 for bike sales and contactless, basic repairs.
If your bike needs a fix so you can ride safely again, we can help with things such as puncture and brake fixes, and gear and brake tuning. If your bike needs more complex repairs, we’ll refer you to a local bike shop.
Our kaupapa is normally about providing advice and working alongside you, however we’re adapting to these unusual times to ensure you can still use your bike to get around. Here’s how it will work during Level 3:
- Jobs will be taken on a first-come-first-serve basis. No bookings.
- We’ll only take on simple jobs that will take less than half an hour.
- Please remain close by (e.g. in your vehicle) while we’re working on your bike. We don’t have space to hold bikes.
- No mask, no service.
- Please follow Ministry of Health guidelines around signing in and physical distancing.
What’s usually on offer
At lower Alert Levels, we normally offer:
- free access to tools and advice on basic bike maintenance
- restored and safety-checked second-hand bikes for sale
- used and new bike parts and accessories
- safe cycling advice and guidance
- fun, novelty bikes to try
- free cycling maps, including Flat White Ride and Pedal Puketāpapa
We’re a community-based not-for-profit operation and our staff are ably assisted by enthusiastic volunteers. Our aim is to work alongside you to develop your skills and knowledge, so you can freely enjoy the benefits of cycling.
We don’t offer a certified mechanical repair service where you can drop your bike off to be fixed but we can point you in the right direction if this is a service you require.
Got a bike?
Bring it in for advice and support about maintenance and basic repairs. We have parts available to purchase, including replacement cables, tyre tubes, brake pads and chains.
Don’t have a bike (yet)?
We have a range of serviced low-cost used bikes for sale, or can provide advice about where else you could find a bike to suit your needs. We can also offer advice and support if you haven’t ridden a bike in a while (or ever).
Got any questions? Email [email protected]
Bike Donations and Volunteers
We welcome donated bikes and parts in reasonable condition that we restore and sell at low cost to help fund our service. Donated bikes can be dropped off at our Bike Hubs during open hours. Unfortunately we don’t have the capacity to collect donated bikes.
We also welcome volunteers. Get in touch by emailing [email protected] if you’re interested in volunteering.
Since our first Bike Hub opened in 2017, we’ve:
- had more than 21,000 visitors
- fixed more than 6,325 bikes
- benefitted from more than 5,000 hours of volunteer support.
The Bike Hubs were winners of the Superior Grassroots Action category in the Travelwise Choices Awards 2020 and the Shifting the Dial category in the On the Go Awards 2021.
EcoHub, 1 Olympic Place
Open Thurs-Sun, 10am-2pm
The Falls Carpark, 22 Alderman Drive
Open Fri-Sun, 10am-4pm
Maybury Reserve, Taniwha Street
Open Thurs-Sun, 10am-2pm