If you live in the Waitākere Ranges Local Board area, you can dispose of invasive weeds free of charge at the community weed bins and help prevent pest plants from spreading into the native bush we love.
War on Weeds
In addition to the community weed bins below, extra weed bins are available in West Auckland during 22 February – 31 March 2021 for the War on Weeds.
Pest Plant Roadshow
Want to find out which weeds you should bin, bag or put in a barrel? The EcoMatters Nature Team will be in your neighbourhood to give advice and answer any questions you have about pest plants. Come along to chat about how to ID invasive weeds, best practices for keeping kauri safe while caring for the bush, and free services available to support you. Free weed bags are available for local residents (Ts and Cs apply, stock limited). Brought to you by EcoMatters and supported by the Waitākere Ranges Local Board and Auckland Council.
Join us at your local event:
- Waiatarua Community Hall (911 West Coast Road), Saturday 20 March, 10am – 1pm – Join the Facebook event
- Laingholm Village Hall (69 Victory Road), Saturday 27 March 9am – 12pm – Join the Facebook event
- Piha (Old School House, behind West Coast Gallery), Saturday 17 April, 10am – 1pm – Join the Facebook event
- Huia Hall (1253 Huia Road, Huia) Thursday 22 April, 4.30pm – 7.30pm – Join the Facebook event – Postponed, new date to be announced soon.
- Titirangi Badminton Club (28 Withers Road, Glen Eden), Saturday 1 May, 10am – 1pm – Join the Facebook event
Permanent weed bins
Weed bins are available on an ongoing basis at:
- Piha Domain (Seaview Road).
- Huia Domain (Huia Road).
Pop-up weed bins
Temporary bins are available at the following locations on certain dates:
- Waiatarua Community Hall (911 West Coast Road, Waiatarua): Saturday 10 – Sunday 11 October 2020, Saturday 5 – Sunday 6 December 2020, Saturday 13 – Sunday 14 February 2021, Saturday 10 – Sunday 11 April 2021, Saturday 12 – Sunday 13 June 2021
- Laingholm Community Hall (69 Victory Road, Laingholm): Saturday 10 – Sunday 11 October 2020, Saturday 5 – Sunday 6 December 2020, Saturday 13 – Sunday 14 February 2021, Saturday 10 – Sunday 11 April 2021, Saturday 12 – Sunday 13 June 2021
- Mountain Road (15-17 Mountain Road, Henderson Valley): Saturday 7 – Sunday 8 November 2020, Saturday 9 – Sunday 10 January 2021, Saturday 1 – Sunday 2 May 2021
- Kōwhai Reserve (28 Withers Road, Glen Eden): Saturday 7 – Sunday 8 November 2020, Saturday 9 – Sunday 10 January 2021, Saturday 1 – Sunday 2 May 2021
Weed bin map
Invasive weeds accepted
- Climbing asparagus
- Moth plant
- Privet – Chinese privet and Tree privet (small branches only)
- Tradescantia (also known as Wandering Willie)
- Wild ginger (seed heads and roots only – please compost the green stems onsite at your property)
Please respect these bins – they’re here for invasive weeds only. When illegal dumping happens, we have to pay for rubbish to be removed. That makes this service more expensive and less viable for everyone.
We do not accept bamboo, large branches or tree trunks, palm trees, cabbage trees, general garden waste and weeds around kauri trees (to prevent the spread of kauri dieback disease).
Thanks to the Waitākere Ranges Local Board for funding this service.