If you live in the Waitākere Ranges Local Board area, you can dispose of invasive weeds free of charge at the community weed bins and help prevent pest plants from spreading into the native bush we love.
To keep each other safe, please follow these guidelines:
- One vehicle at a time at a bin
- Scan in
- Wear a face covering
- Keep a 2m distance from others
Weed bin locations
Permanent weed bins
Piha: Piha Domain, Seaview Road
Huia: Huia Domain, Huia Road
Pop-up weed bins
Waiatarua: Waiatarua Hall, 911 West Coast Road
Laingholm: Laingholm Hall, 69 Victory Road
Glen Eden: Kōwhai Reserve, 28 Withers Road
Swanson (9am-4pm): Central Landscape Supplies, 598 Swanson Road
Weed Bin Weekends 2022
- 15-16 Jan: Glen Eden and Swanson
- 12-13 Feb: Waiatarua and Laingholm
- 22 Feb-31 Mar: Multiple locations for War on Weeds
- 14-15 May: Glen Eden and Swanson
- 11-12 Jun: Waiatarua and Laingholm
- NEW DATES 24-26 Jun: Glen Eden and Swanson
Weed bin map
Invasive weeds accepted
- Climbing asparagus
- Moth plant
- Privet – Chinese privet and Tree privet (small branches only)
- Tradescantia (also known as Wandering Willie)
- Wild ginger (seed heads and roots only – please compost the green stems onsite at your property)
- Woolly nightshade
Please respect these bins – they’re here for invasive weeds only. When illegal dumping happens, we have to pay for rubbish to be removed. That makes this service more expensive and less viable for everyone.
We do not accept bamboo, large branches or tree trunks, nīkau/palm trees or fronds, cabbage trees, general garden waste and weeds from around kauri trees (to prevent the spread of kauri dieback disease).
Need help with the bins? Contact Melissa at [email protected] or 021 458 365.
Kia ora and thanks
Funded by the Waitākere Ranges Local Board and supported by Auckland Council.