If you live in the Waitākere Ranges Local Board area, you can dispose of invasive weeds free of charge at the community weed bins and help prevent pest plants from spreading into the native bush we love.
Weed bin locations
Permanent weed bins
Piha: Piha Domain, Seaview Road
Huia: Huia Domain, Huia Road
*Weed bins at Piha and Huia will be on a break from 22 December 2022 to 10 January 2023.
Pop-up weed bins
Waiatarua: Waiatarua Hall, 911 West Coast Road
Laingholm: Laingholm Hall, 69 Victory Road
Glen Eden: Kōwhai Reserve, 28 Withers Road
Swanson (9am-4pm): Central Landscape Supplies, 598 Swanson Road
Weed Bin Weekends 2022-2023
Swanson and Glen Eden:
- 13-14 August 2022, Swanson (9am-4pm), Glen Eden
- 15-16 October 2022, Swanson (9am-4pm), Glen Eden
- 10-11 December 2022, Swanson (9am-4pm), Glen Eden
- 11-12 February 2023, Swanson (9am-4pm), Glen Eden
Waiatarua and Laingholm
- 10-11 September 2022, Waiatarua, Laingholm
- 12-13 November 2022, Waiatarua, Laingholm
- 21-22 January 2023, Waiatarua, Laingholm
- 13-14 May 2023, Waiatarua, Laingholm
Weed bins will be also available in various locations for War on Weeds in March.
Weed bin map
Using the bins
What you can put in the bins
- Climbing asparagus
- Moth plant
- Privet – Chinese privet and Tree privet (small branches only)
- Tradescantia (also known as Wandering Willie)
- Wild ginger (seed heads and roots only – please compost the green stems onsite at your property)
- Woolly nightshade
What you can’t put in the bins
Please respect these bins – they’re here for invasive weeds only. When illegal dumping happens, we have to pay for rubbish to be removed. That makes this service more expensive and less viable for everyone.
We do not accept bamboo, large branches or tree trunks, nīkau/palm trees or fronds, cabbage trees, general garden waste and weeds from around kauri trees (to prevent the spread of kauri dieback disease).
Thank you for your invaluable ongoing work to keep the Waitākere Ranges free from pest platns.
Need help with the bins? Contact Melissa at [email protected] or 021 458 365.
Kia ora and thanks
Funded by the Waitākere Ranges Local Board and supported by Auckland Council.