If you live in the Waitākere Ranges Local Board area, you can dispose of invasive weeds free of charge at the community weed bins and help prevent pest plants from spreading into the native bush we love.
Weed bin locations
Pop-up weed bins
Waiatarua: Waiatarua Hall, 911 West Coast Road
Laingholm: Laingholm Hall, 69 Victory Road
Glen Eden: Kōwhai Reserve, 28 Withers Road
Swanson (9am-4pm): Central Landscape Supplies, 598 Swanson Road
Permanent weed bins
Piha: Piha Domain, Seaview Road
Huia: Huia Domain, Huia Road
Weed bin weekends
- 14-15 Aug 2021: Waiatarua and Laingholm
- 11-12 Sep: Glen Eden and Swanson*
- 9-10 Oct: Waiatarua and Laingholm
- 13-14 Nov: Glen Eden and Swanson*
- 11-12 Dec: Waiatarua and Laingholm
- 15-16 Jan 2022: Glen Eden and Swanson*
- 12-13 Feb: Waiatarua and Laingholm
- March: Multiple locations for War on Weeds
- 14-15 May: Glen Eden and Swanson*
- 11-12 Jun: Waiatarua and Laingholm
Bins will be onsite from Saturday 9am.
An EcoMatters staff member will be onsite for weed advice Saturday 9am-3pm.
Weed bin map
Invasive weeds accepted
- Climbing asparagus
- Moth plant
- Privet – Chinese privet and Tree privet (small branches only)
- Tradescantia (also known as Wandering Willie)
- Wild ginger (seed heads and roots only – please compost the green stems onsite at your property)
Please respect these bins – they’re here for invasive weeds only. When illegal dumping happens, we have to pay for rubbish to be removed. That makes this service more expensive and less viable for everyone.
We do not accept bamboo, large branches or tree trunks, palm trees, cabbage trees, general garden waste and weeds around kauri trees (to prevent the spread of kauri dieback disease).
Funded by the Waitākere Ranges Local Board and supported by Auckland Council.