War on Weeds
New dates: 1-30 April 2023
War on Weeds is happening in April this year, which gave time in March for our community to focus on cleanup and recovery efforts from the floods and cyclone.
Most bins are at the usual sites from 1 to 30 April, but we do have two new locations and one slight date change this year, so please double-check these in the list below. You are also invited to join us at one of our Pest Plant Roadshows to learn more about invasive weeds.
During War on Weeds, extra weed bins are provided around West Auckland for a whole month, to support you to dispose of invasive weeds from your own backyard. This then helps reduce the spread of weeds into Auckland’s beautiful West Coast bush.
Weed bin locations 2023
Henderson-Massey Local Board
- HENDERSON MPHS carpark, 27 Corban Ave – this bin will be available from Monday 3 April to Wednesday 3 May.
- TE ATATŪ PENINSULA 580 Te Atatū Rd
- MASSEY Massey Leisure Centre, corner Westgate Dr and Don Buck Rd
- SWANSON Central Landscape Supplies, 598 Swanson Rd. Please note this bin is accessible during usual opening hours only. Central Landscape Supplies is closed on Good Friday (7 April) and Easter Sunday (9 April).
Waitākere Ranges Local Board
- LAINGHOLM Laingholm Hall carpark, 69 Victory Rd, opposite the primary school
- PARAU 695 Huia Rd
- KAURILANDS Konini Primary School, 44 Withers Rd
- TE HENGA Regional Park carpark, next to 110 Te Henga Rd
- NEW location for 2023: TITIRANGI Zig Zag track carpark, Park Rd
- TITIRANGI Tangiwai Reserve carpark, Huia Rd
- WAIMA Corner of Boylan Rd and York Rd
- WAIATARUA Waiatarua Hall, 911 West Coast Rd
- NEW location for 2023: HENDERSON VALLEY SCHOOL, 389 Henderson Valley Rd
Permanent Weed Bins
- PIHA DOMAIN Seaview Road
- HUIA DOMAIN Huia Road
Pest Plant Roadshows
Want to find out which weeds you should bin, bag or put in a barrel? The EcoMatters Nature Team will be here to give advice and answer any questions you have about pest plants. Come along to chat about how to identify invasive weeds, best practices for keeping kauri safe while caring for the bush, and free services available to support you.
The Pest Plant Roadshow will be running from 10am-1pm at:
- Konini School, 44 Withers Road, Glen Eden – Saturday 15 April
- Huia Domain, 1193 Huia Road, Huia – Sunday 16 April
Supported by the Waitākere Ranges Local Board and Auckland Council.
Invasive weeds accepted
During the War on Weeds, the following pest plants are accepted at the weed bins:
- Arundo/giant reed
- Blue morning glory
- Brush wattle
- Cape ivy
- Chinese privet and tree privet
- Climbing asparagus
- Japanese honeysuckle
- Moth plant
- Pampas grass
- Tradescantia (also known as Wandering Willie)
- Wild ginger
- Woolly nightshade
We’ll appreciate your effort in bagging up moth plant seed pods and wild ginger seed heads before putting them into the bins.
Please respect these bins – they’re here for invasive weeds only. When illegal dumping happens, we have to pay for rubbish to be removed. That makes this service more expensive and less viable for everyone.
We do not accept bamboo, large branches or tree trunks, nīkau/palm trees or fronds, cabbage trees, general garden waste and weeds from around kauri trees (to prevent the spread of kauri dieback disease).
Need help with the bins? Contact Melissa at [email protected] or 021 458 365.
other COMMUNITY weed binS
If you live in the Waitākere Ranges Local Board area, there are ways you can dispose of invasive weeds free of charge throughout the year. Find out more at Weed Bins.
stay up to date
weed bin map
Enlarge the map below (top right hand corner) and click on a location for the address of each bin.
kia ora and thanks to
Thank you to the Henderson-Massey and Waitākere Ranges local boards for making these bins available for their residents.