The Love Your Bike hub has been established to enhance and support the community of West Auckland to experience the thrill and fun of cycling! It’s also great for your health, and is one of the most environmentally-friendly forms of transport.
What we intend to provide
- Assistance with learning basic bike maintenance skills. How to:
- inflate tyres and repair punctures
- configure your bike for your riding comfort
- tune and adjust your brakes
- tune and adjust your gearing
- maintain your chain
- Times when there may be a qualified mechanic on-site offering low cost maintenance work (as per the above list). For work we can’t assist with, we can refer you to some excellent local bike stores that have qualified mechanics to assist with repairs and maintenance.
- Loan bikes for people to try or explore Te Whau Pathway, Olympic Park and surrounds
- Repairing unwanted bikes from the waste stream and giving back (or providing at low cost) to those in need in the community
- Free, 24hr access to a community bike maintenance stand, with tools and pump (located at the front of the hub)
- Education and information about bike routes and safe cycling
- Information about bike groups and other types of support
- A facility that can booked and used by other community groups*
*We are currently exploring a membership option for the Love Your Bike hub. More details soon!
You are welcome to bring your bike in and borrow tools to undertake maintenance, or ask one of our staff for guidance. Alternatively, if you don’t have a bike yet, then we can help loan a bike, or assist with refurbishing a recovered bike with you.
What we don’t offer
We don’t offer a certified bike mechanical repair service at this stage, where you drop your bike off to be repaired (there are great local bike shops that provide this service). Our aim is to work alongside you to develop your skills and knowledge so that you can freely enjoy the benefits of cycling!
Drinks and refreshments
We know that riding and maintaining bikes can be great exercise, so we also offer a range of drinks and refreshments to keep you fuelled up! These include Phoenix drinks, Nice Blocks, Kokako organic filter coffee, and a bike smoothie maker. The sale of these items also helps to keep the hub operational.
From Sunday 9 April 2017 onwards, we’ll be open Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays at 9am – 1pm.
If you don’t see anyone around, please enquire at the EcoMatters Visitors Centre next door.
Phone: 09 826 4276 or DD 09 826 0555
Volunteers always welcome!
Please get in touch if you’re interested in volunteering with the Love Your Bike hub.
Thank you to the Whau Local Board for their generous support.