- Start: Sun, 15 Apr 11:00am
- End: Sun, 15 Apr 6:00pm
Olympic Place, Auckland, New Zealand
EcoWest Festival ended with a bang with EcoDay, the biggest eco event in Auckland! This free event took place at the EcoMatters Environment Centre & Olympic Park with:
- Our first ever EcoDay Velodrome Bike Party
- Inspirational speakers Cameron Sims from Plant Culture on using hemp-based products, Zero Waste Josephine on a zero waste lifestyle and EcoMatters' own Sarah Jane Murray on 'The Ultimate Guide to Recycling'
- Panel discussions on localising food economies, the future of architecture, and the Waitākere Ranges
- Pop Up Food Court
- Upcycled, organic and fair trade market
- Kids' area packed with activities, games and face painting
- Live music and performances
Check out the EcoDay 2018 photo album on Facebook or read more about which workshops and speakers we had as part of EcoDay 2018 below.
Cameron Sims from Plant Culture
Cameron Sims is New Zealand’s first hemp-based chef, and he believes that hemp can change the world and help humanity become more sustainable. His ultimate goal is to create a modern and biodynamic university campus to reintroduce biodiversity back into our cities and soils.
Zero Waste Josephine
Josephine Rawstorne is moving towards going completely zero waste while emboldening others to do the same. Zero waste is a philosophy that encourages the redesign of resource life cycles so that all products are reused, and no trash is sent to landfill or incinerators.
Sarah Jane Murray from EcoMatters
SJ Murray is EcoMatters' own Zero Waste Initatives Lead. She project manages the Compost Collective, the Zero Waste Trailer and the Rosebank Waste Brokerage Service. A trail blazer in the waste minimisation space, SJ will share 'The Ultimate Guide to Recycling'.
Autumn and Winter Gardening Workshop
Learn how to make the most of your vegetable garden in winter: what to grow, when to plant, and how to give your garden the best chance of thriving in winter conditions.
Composting Systems Tour
Join this Compost Collective workshop to get an introduction to composting, and a comprehensive composting systems tour. Come and discover what suits you best, and access a $40 discount for a composting system.
Velodrome Bike Party
Hold on to your helmets - the Velodrome is coming alive with bike activities, races and information on everything you need to know to commute these city streets. Bring your bike down and put your talents to the test!