The Love Zero Waste trailer is available for hire for your wedding, school fair, festival, community event, or any other time you want to feed a crowd, not a landfill. It includes cutlery & crockery, bins to sort your rubbish, and a Wash Against Waste station – but you choose which items you need.
What comes with the trailer?
An EcoMatters staff member will deliver, set up, supervise, pack down and return the trailer to EcoMatters.
All the items below are optional, just let us know what you need.
- 1 x Love Zero Waste gazebo (3m by 3m standing; 2.4m long packed down)
- 1 x Wash Against Waste gazebo (3m by 3m standing; 2.4m long packed down)
- 2 x Trestle tables (2.4m long & 1.8m long)
- 2 x Love Zero Waste teardrop flags
- Bin stands with signage (up to 6 available)
- 40L bins with signage, recycling, food waste, and landfill (6 of each bin available)
- Everything you need to operate Wash Against Waste, like crockery and cutlery (more details below)
What doesn’t the trailer come with?
It doesn’t come with volunteers – you’ll have to recruit your own.
We don’t deal with your waste after the event.
What do I need to think about when putting on a zero waste event?
- Make sure your waste station is managed by capable volunteers.
- Make sure you understand the types of waste you will be dealing with on the day.
- If you have vendors and stallholders, find out what they will be bring on the day, and suggest alternatives if needed.
- Where possible, ensure that they only provide environmentally-friendly packaging or products.
What should I do with my waste after my event?
Depending on the size of your event, you might be able to deal with your waste yourself without having to pay a large company to come and take it away for you. Here are some suggestions.
- Plastic bottles
- Aluminium cans
- Steel and tin cans
- Glass bottles and jars
- Clear plastic food containers
- Empty aerosols
All these items can be recycled in your 240L Auckland Council recycling bin.
- Compostable packaging like compostable coffee cups
- Napkins (unbleached)
- Brown bags
- Chopsticks and toothpicks
All these items (if not highly contaminated) can be composted at home. The paper and cardboard can also go in your Auckland Council recycling bin.
- Fruit and vegetables
- Cooked and processed foods
It’s important to know which of these food types you will be dealing with on the day. If you only have fruit and vegetable waste, this can be composted or given to your worms.
If you are dealing with cooked and processed foods, think about using a Bokashi system to process this waste.
To find out more about composting and attend a free composting course in Auckland, check out The Compost Collective
What is Wash against Waste?
Wash Against Waste is a pop-up unit that enables you to wash dishes so you don’t have to use disposable plates, cups and cutlery. It’s a great way to eliminate single-use packaging at your event.
The Wash Against Waste option includes:
- 100+ Dinner plates
- 100+ Coffee cups
- 50+ bowls and side plates
- Knives, forks and spoon
- A Wash Against Waste gazebo
- Washing table, bowls, dishwashing liquid and tea towels
Vendors and customers love to use real crockery. It helps to enhance the dining experience and gives your event a zero waste edge.
What do I need to run Wash Against Waste?
- A power supply
- An outside tap
- Enough volunteers to wash up during your event
This can be a great fundraising opportunity for the scouts or other local community groups. It can also be a way for a local business to get involved and support your event.
How much does it cost to hire the trailer for the day?
This all depends on your event duration and location. To get a quote please email email@example.com with the following information.
- Your name
- Your email
- Your telephone number
- Name of event
- Event date
- Event address
- Who the event organiser is
- What time would you like the trailer to be set up at your event
- What time would you like the trailer to be packed down
Who can I talk to about renting the trailer for my event?
Contact our Waste Programme and Development Manager Sarah Jane Murray at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her on (09) 826 4276 Ext: 141 to check availability and have a chat about your waste management plan.
Trailer pick up is from New Lynn, Auckland.