Community Bicycle Mechanic (12 months fixed term)
With funding from the Whau Local Board, EcoMatters has created a community cycle hub at its Visitor Centre at Olympic Park in New Lynn.
The hub is a new initiative at Ecomatters with a goal of encouraging and supporting the community to enjoy the benefits of cycling while getting people’s old bikes out of their back sheds and back on the streets. The hub itself is a refurbished shipping container with a pop-out side, flowing into an outdoor space where the community can come to fix a bike, enjoy a coffee or cold drink, and have a chat with other local cyclists.
You’ll be helping people to come and learn how to better use and maintain their bikes while encouraging them into cycling and providing information about other support services for cycling in the community.
- Open, close and staff the bike hub over the weekends
- Sale of refreshments – Niceblocks, cold drinks, filter coffee (not barista coffee), and smoothie maker
- Engaging with visitors around cycling questions and queries
- Offering advice and assistance with regards to basic bike maintenance and safety
- Creating a welcoming environment for weekend customers and visitors to the the Hub
- Potentially managing loan bikes in time
If you would like to work with us here at EcoMatters we recommend checking this page regularly – you never know what’s around the corner!
And just quietly, a number of our staff began their journey with us as volunteers or interns.
If you think volunteering might just be your gig and you have some time to offer please drop our Visitor Centre manager Barbara a line on firstname.lastname@example.org